Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hello Mr. President . . .

I very recently received an invitation to a White House reception that will be recognizing Asian American and Pacific Islander heritage. It appears that President Obama and the First Lady will both be in attendance. Invitations were made to Asian American and Pacific Islander community leaders, and I’m proud to be considered in that grouping.

Will I be attending? Who could turn down an invitation that starts with “The President and Mrs. Obama request the pleasure of your company . . . ”?

In any case, if I have a chance to speak at any length with President Obama, I think I will remind him that five million Americans are currently infected with hepatitis B or hepatitis C, and that these individuals will need medical monitoring for the remainder of their lives because of their high risk for serious liver disease. I will let him know that many of these individuals are among the working poor or unemployed who do not have health insurance and cannot afford medical care. I will remind him that exemplary government programs like the Ryan White CARE Act support medical care and treatment for low-income individuals with HIV/AIDS, but no such program exists for individuals with hepatitis B or C. I will remind him that more than half of the 1.4 million individuals chronically infected with hepatitis B are Asian Americans and yet there is virtually no large-scale public health effort to encourage Asian Americans to get screened for hepatitis B or to educate physicians to offer screening to these individuals.

I think I will remind him that Title VI of the Civil Rights Act assures individuals of language access in health care facilities that receive federal dollars, yet thousands of individuals are denied these services on a daily basis in facilities throughout the nation. I will remind him that Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are the fastest growing racial/ethnic groups in this country and that while health care facilities are doing better in offering culturally competent services to Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are a virtual afterthought when it comes to culturally competent care.

Lastly, I think I will thank him profusely (and offer a fist bump) for his leadership and vision on the Affordable Care Act and let him know that our agency is actively supporting its continuation. Having said that, I will let him know that the same political will exerted on the ACA will be more than sufficient to address the continuing health disparities related to hepatitis and language access. I will humbly offer my assistance, proffer my business card, and then wander off in search of hors d’oeuvres.

- Doug Hirano, MPH, APCA Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment